Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sweden Made Work More Attractive than Unemployment

Professor Sauer at thesportseconomist.com sent me this, which he found at Stefan Karlsson's blog:

“In Sweden, the centre-right government elected in 2006 has implemented significant income tax reductions (and payroll tax reductions), particularly for low earners while at the same time, unemployment and sick leave benefits have been cut and it has become much more difficult to be able to receive such benefits.

In Denmark, by contrast, even though it too has a formally "centre-right government" it has largely refrained from reducing taxes or government hand-outs, and it has more specifically lacked the focus of their Swedish counterparts in strengthening incentives to work by reducing unemployment benefits and taxation of low income earners.”

Denmark’s employment has fallen 5% in the past year while Sweden’s is unchanged.

CBM: I am embarrassed to report having been too busy in this recession to give much attention to the details of European recessions, but I did make one comparison of European countries that included Sweden (with a 2 percent employment gain over 7 quarters) but did not include Denmark due to lack of GDP data. The same employment data show a -0.6 percent employment loss for Denmark. However, the theme of my article was that countries that allowed employment to adjust downward may, remarkably, enjoy MORE GDP as a result.



Determining whether my article's suggestion is correct, and whether that logic has much to say about the Denmark-Sweden comparison, requires further research.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now.


Resume Writing Services

Unknown said...

It’s glad to see good information being convey. Its a very nice written, and i really like these blog. Thanks for the info.

Study Agent

Anonymous said...

Very interesting article. Well when there is so much a new. Many thanks, for the information
college board .

Boundlesstech said...

I always learn something new from your post!Great article. I wish I could write so well.
boundlesstechno@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I like the design of your blog very much. It looks like a page from fairy tale. I’m really impressed!

Web Design | Web hosting

Boundlesstech said...

I would like to say this is an excellent blog that I have ever come across. Very informative. Please write more so that we can get more details.

darkmuse said...

very good server with useful information, thank you all sitforum shiki

uk theses

darkmuse said...

BTW, I almost forgot to ask you - do you have something like that?? share if you got it please

write assignment

Unknown said...

It was really great to know about such things.
ryan gosling drive clothing

Unknown said...

Swedens are really focused on their work that Make their Work More Attractive rather than being Unemployed. athletic clothing

Yasir said...

And property taxes, with only the residual remaining for the owners of components. bubblegum casting

Usama shaikh said...

Your approach to this post is unique and appreciating. I am writing an article for our research paper and this post has helped me. Thanks. bubblegum casting

Unknown said...

All experts believe the fact that there are SOME organizations who will respond to this situation by losing their security, and that their employees will benefit by obtaining the financial aid. cheap tickets to london

Unknown said...

I need to meet up with in two periods at AHR Expo, but it would take me an awesome period of money to try and duplicate that online and conference with individual manufacturer reps. INterior Designs

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Demonstrates address all sections of the market (like AHR Expo) or focus on particular sections (various organization events) seem to be the most effective. free microsoft points

Unknown said...

I happen to think that company exhibitions still hold value, whether you are there to system, see market friends, rim and deal or to walk the shelves to learn more about a certain item or technological innovation. Also, most company exhibitions offer top-notch workshops for visitors to be present at. click here for info

Unknown said...

So the obvious issues are “Why are some company activities doing so well while others struggle”; and “Will these actions stay in mild of improved online marketing emails, such as the arriving of unique company shows. agen bola terpercaya 

Unknown said...

If I was to get into the water program organization nowadays I will further my knowledge beyond the area knowledge and find every advantage I could to become effective as the business enterprise is modifying and becoming more and more aggressive no matter what the organization is, water program or operating on Wall Road,” described Mother or father. the venus factor review